Thursday, July 30, 2009

Nothin' Yet

Big little word, "Yet". We believe something is coming.

Lucas has been on a dose of Depakote twice a day for 2 weeks now and we have not seen a remarkable/consistent improvement. We saw Dr. Burris again today. (I really do like him, I feel I like him more each time we see him. He is so kind and gentle and silly with Lucas.) He directed us to increase the Depakote again as of this evening's dose and we will call to check in with him next Thursday. Depending on the results we see over the course of the week, he may instruct us to begin weaning off the Keppra which, though once upon a time last fall it seemed a wonder drug, has of late been nothing but a horse pill Lucas has championed in swallowing -most of the time. :)

He is such a champion. He remains to be cheery and wonderful. I think we have hit a bit of 2 year old behavior on occasion, but we count it good when we see normal developmental behavior. So, though he has thrown a few brief fits when he objected to something, it was minor and the fact that he did it at all causes me to rejoice. :) There is much for which to be thankful. :)

We also have recently been put in touch with another family through one of Lucas' therapists as a support family. They have an amazing story and as soon as their website is up and running I will be sharing that with you all. I am certain they can tell their story better than I could and I don't know it completely, but briefly, I'll share that the parents' names are Stephanie and Doug Brawley and their children are Dougie and Emily. They are a pair left of triplets born 16 weeks premature, now 2 years old. Both had lots of hurdles to jump and they have overcome much. Their parents love them incredibly and are now hoping to receive a respirator so that Emily, who has only spent about 4 weeks of her life at home, can come home to stay. They live in a more rural area, so getting the equipment they need to reunite their family has proved difficult, but they are confident, as are we, that it will work out.

I need to get the boy to bed now. I will update more about Lucas and The Brawley family Soon. Thank you always for your love and encouragement. That you forever and ever for your prayers, for us and for others we tell you about.

Blessings.

No comments: