Monday, June 16, 2008

Still in waiting, Not much improved

I was reading to Lucas this morning, lately I do some Psalms, some Proverbs and a little Romans. Proverbs 16:9 has been underlined/highlighted in my Bible for years and has been super apropos in my life as well, but this morning it once again was ringing in my heart.

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." (NIV)

Today is our 14th day on the Topamax, a week on the full dose. We are still observing between 25-45 seizures a day. I am unsure if the variance in the numbers is due to a change in the number had, or a change in the amount we witness. Either way, it is still not much improved nor consistently improved. I am awaiting a call back from the neurologist, but I am near positive we will, once again, cancel Lucas' surgery. I was talking with a friend the other day and she said, "It sounds to me like he just really doesn't want that surgery." It would seem that way. Though we would prefer a different method of intervention to the appearance of seizures method. :)

I am not certain if we will continue on the Topamax and continue to hope it works or if Dr. Burris will want to switch to Depacote (which has some possible nasty side effects we'd rather not explore). I got the feeling from chatting with his nurse that he will likely want to keep Lucas on the Topamax for a while longer. It makes sense to me; he's only had a week of full dose. That isn't much of a trial.

I will likely post again tomorrow after getting the official word and let you all know. Thanks again for your prayers and support. We know that though this may not have been the way we'd have chosen to walk this out, God's got a much better view of the whole journey and His choices are based in much more wisdom than ours would be and we trust Him.

Blessings and thanks.

1 comment:

*eRiCa*AH said...

Barbara and Sam are here helping us through the flood mess that almost took our condo. We've all been reading about Lucas as he conquers the next trial of his life. We trust your little one is in the best hands. His mama and papa are top-notch! All our love from Des Moines. Erica, Brent, Sam and Barbara