Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Meds changing again

I have been meaning to put up another update since the Monday following our Vacation, the 27th I think it was, but haven't gotten to it. The computer/internet is sometimes my nemesis and I prefer to avoid it. I feel like it has an uncanny ability to suck the life out of me right through my finger tips. Frighteningly amazing, huh? :)

Anyway...

We saw Dr. Burris, the neurologist, that Monday and I informed him that Lucas has at least twice the amount of seizures in the first part of the day than in the second so he suggested increasing Lucas' Keppra (the med he's been on for some time now that seemed to be quite successful until last October when we missed a dose in the chaos of me being a bridesmaid which threw the entire evening totally out of the norm) to 4 doses a day verses the three times a day we have been doing since last fall. The thinking was that getting the meds in him earlier will get the day started better. The plan has, however, failed miserably. His seizures seem to increase every day by 5-10. Yesterday he had 70 but the week before only 28. Also, the number of seizures in the morning has not decreased. Yesterday he was up at 0530 and by 0730 he had already had 45, by 1200, 58, but then only 12 or 13 more the rest of the day. Frustration!!!!

Today I talked with his office again and we are increasing the Banzel (the new drug fresh on the market this January that we began in February; we had blood drawn last week to check the serum level, the results of which indicated that it might be good to increase the dose). We are going from 1 1/2 tabs twice a day to 2 tabs twice a day. Also, since the 4th dose of the Keppra seems not to have caused a lick of improvement, we are going back to three times a day on the doses, but increasing the total amount taken daily by 1mL so he will have 4mL three times a day vs. 4mL, 3mL, 4mL which we had been doing.

Basically, all this gibber-jabber means that we are still battling seizures, but I am hopeful that I might actually get a full night's rest for the first time in almost a month. At simply the thought after typing that, my shoulders relaxed and I felt a wave of peaceful hope rush over my body. Thank You, God for sustaining me and thank You that tonight I will sleep (please)!! :)

Thursday Lucas will celebrate the second anniversary of his first air breathing day and we are quite excited as well as a bit flabbergasted looking back over the past 2 1/2-3 years. Our little moose who was once just a tiny peanut (we have an ultrasound pic to prove it!), the sweetest most wonderful little boy whose life has made our lives immeasurably better, he is two years old. How much and how fast and how amazing. I will say once again (though certainly not for the last time) that there can be no doubt of the love of God that He has been so gracious as to entrust to us the Gift of Lucas. We are truly blessed, not only by him and his bountiful joy, but also by all of you who are so faithful in loving him and lifting him up to the good Lord as well. May you all be blessed and filled with joy this week as we celebrate God's goodness in the life our son!

No comments: